View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: Live 6/12: A8 flops a gutter and goes to war

[ QUOTE ]
Even if opponents are idiots, can we really outplay them postflop with A9, A8, etc.? What happens when an A flops; are we that comfortable with our hand? All higher Aces have us outkicked (and bad players limp these hands all day) and all lower Aces still have a chance of making two pairs. Plus we chop a lot.

Is it super nitty to think the best way to outplay bad opponents in these situations is to not play these weaker type hands in the first place?

GcluelessnitG

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I wish I could link to that Ed Miller post but...oh, screw it, I"m going to link it anyway, but it's not working at this moment for some reason. Future reference:

linky for taking off the training wheels

The basic idea here is that the more hands your opponents play the more hands you can play. If your opponents are, like Jesse's in this hand, limping in on like the top 80% of hands every...single...pot, suddenly even hands like A8o or K5s have an equity advantage. You want to be in the pot with anything within two degrees of separation from reasonable because your opponents are going to make so many mistakes to not be in the pot would be forgoing equity and leaving money on the table.

Of course, this is a higher variance strategy. I adjust this way but since one is my limitations is my tendency to be a tilt monster I don't open way, way up, at least not as much as others would. Tightening up is actually the worst way to respond to such a table.

And sometime before the day is up elindauer will swoop in a clarify, correct and ridicule my post. Hope this helps!