Thread: Free Showdown
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Free Showdown

i think this example might have been better if we had a hand like 55 or something.

note to elindauer or niediem or whoever else is reading this thread. i have previously acknowleged that this isn't a prime spot for the FSDR. truth be told, i don't really like FSDR that much and only mix them in to help balance my turn raises with made hands and bluffs/semibluffs alike. in this particular hand i actually rivered a red 9 and valuebet it. villain called and showed down A7s.

the primary point i'm trying to drive home is that the free showdown raise is best when:

*you don't need to call a 3bet
*the probability of villain betting a worse hand on the river is low
*you have little chance of improving if behind
*you have the possibility of folding a better hand

in this particular hand, i do think if villain is c/r and leading the turn with a hand like A7 the value of him folding his 5 outer some % of the time is more than nonsignificant.

i also think when a paint card comes on the turn it's not outside the realm of reason a player like this can find a fold with a weaker ten as often as 3-5% of the time(there is a very distinct argument towards this point and i'll see if someone brings it up before i mention it).

i do think it's going to be a minority of his drawing hands that 3bet the turn. at this level players don't play strong draws as tenaciously on the big streets as they do at higher stakes. at about(online) 10/20 or higher i think this turn will be taken to 3town far more often by a drawing hand than you will see in a smaller stakes game like 2/4-5/10. fwiw, the line i've taken promotes MUBS in alot of smaller stakes players(it's important to see things from their perspective) because it is the exact line alot of them take(incorrectly IMO) with big hands like sets/two pair. as a result of this, i'm pretty sure this will help mitigate the aggression level this type of player would show on the turn with a draw if he was capable of 3betting it against a guy like me(who FYI is a showdown monkey in most of the games i play online).

finally(and most importantly i think), if he's going to fire the river anyway calling down is mostl likely the superior play. this effectively increases the equity of our hand against this particular opponent's distribution because he will bet such a wide range(versus what he will call with).

there's actually alot more about this particular hand i could comment on, but for now this is enough. primary point being what i outlined above. i am in the camp that generally dislikes the FSDR and think it's actually one of the more misapplied concepts on the forums these days.