View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, I want to know the people's view on polygamy.

What's yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Polygamists should have to choose 1 spouse to whom "marriage" benefits should pass.

There are legitimate state interests in limiting the scope of marriage to two individuals. There are not legitimate state interests in limiting the scope of marriage to people of different genders (as discriminating on the basis of gender is not a legitimate state interest.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so you agree that marriage laws should have limits.

Sadly, your opinion on where those lines are to be drawn goes against a vast majority of the rest of the public.

I do appreciate the vague "Well, there are legitimate state interests in limiting the marriage benefits to two people." comment though. You did a fantastic job supporting that opinion.

This might not be true for women, but I wholeheartedly believe that if men were legally allowed to marry other men, you'd see bachelors snatching up $12 marriage licenses left and right and entering into legal contracts with other bachelor friends for the tax benefits. Now, you have to consider what that would do to private benefit packages offered by employers.

If I'm single and my best friend is a government employee, what's stopping me from paying my $12 for our marriage license so I can get put on to his healthcare plan?

You'll say it's impractical... and I'll say you're just blind to the possibilities.

1) Split $12 marriage license cost with buddy
2) Reap tax/healthcare plan/etc etc etc marriage benefits
3) ??????
4) PROFIT
5) ??????
6) Find someone you actually want to marry
7) Get $200 divorce from buddy from Legalzoom.com
8) Get married properly
9) ???????
10) CONTINUE TO PROFIT