View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Came Across an Interesting Book...

yesterday by E.W. Bullinger, the son of a famous Swiss reformer. The name of the book was entitled <u>Number in Scripture</u>. I was wondering if any of the SMP math guys had read this and could give me better info on it. I kind of gave it a cursory look. The book had so many puncuation and technical notes that it was a print editors nightmare so I only picked out one or two things, but apparently the author of the book contends that you can find intelligent design in the scripture of biblical numbers. Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? Isn't this an unexplored avenue of intelligent design?

Just for some additional info. Here is Barnes &amp; Noble's synopsis on the book?

"Synopsis
Six hundred and sixty six is "the number of a name." When the name of Antichrist is known its gematria will doubtless be found to be the number 666.~~~ This may be the most famous number in the Bible, but it is by no means the only number to be found therein. Number in Scripture provides a complete and exhaustive synopsis of the spiritual significance of every number found in the Bible. This classic reference book on biblical numerology is one of the most famous and helpful reference books on numerology ever written. E. W. [ETHELBERT WILLIAM] BULLINGER (1837-1913) was a Vicar of the Church of England, a Biblical scholar, and dispensationalist theologian. Educated at King's College, London, he was a recognized scholar in the field of biblical languages. In 1881, the Archbishop of Canterbury granted him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in recognition of his biblical scholarship. Bullinger also wrote the notes and appendixes of The Companion Bible and is the author of numerous other works including Commentary on Revelation, Great Cloud of Witnesses, and How to Enjoy the Bible. "

An interesting wiki link to what "gematria" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria