View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Got company. $100 missing. Here\'s what I\'ve done.

[ QUOTE ]
It's time to act like an uncle. Giving the kid the silent treatment for a week is so lame. And it'll stale the relationship between the two of you. The best thing that come out of this situation is that you teach him a healthy lesson, and you also show that you can be a cool uncle about it. If I were you I would take him aside and say somethin like 'I am missing $100. I dont think either your mum or dad took it, so unfortunately that just leaves you. I dont give a [censored] (throw in curse words to show your the cool uncle) about the money, I'm just a bit pissed that you'd steal from me. I'm not going to tell your parents, but I just want you to think about this'.

[/ QUOTE ]
The kid is definitely old enough that his parents do not need to be involved. A 14 year old kid knows not to steal. Any problems or suspicions you have can be handled between you and your nephew. If I was in your position, I would only tell his parents if I really felt his theft was a serious problem. But if it's a crime of opportunity, just a case of "No one will notice a little money missing", let him know that behavior of that sort is wrong whether or not anyone notices. Tell him he gets one free pass, and next time you'll let his parents deal with him.