View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Value inv. How to pick

[ QUOTE ]
start reading. hundreds sounds like you narrowed it down pretty far.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are SO many type simple type screeners that most online brokers supply with their order entry software....and their are also NUMEROUS FREE sites on the net as well

Papers like the WSJ or Investors Business Daily have plenty of these stats also( even though they will not be in real time)

But some BASIC stockscreen choices are (and I will discuss my favorites,if you have a specific question about each)....so just ask:

1. Stocks making new 52 week HIGHS/LOWS

2. Largest volume LEADERS(the same usual suspects each day.... stocks with LARGEST volumn percentage changes +/-(much more important IMO)and stocks with LARGEST percentage PRICE gains/losses...ALL in real time

3. Sector leaders/performers..and they can be broken down into many sub-groups ...... in other words if you just say computers...there is software ,(MSFT,Oracle,etc) storage (EMC,Emulex,etc), box makers (Dell,HP,etc) chipmakers(INTC,AMD,etc) ...and so on and so on.As you get more experienced you will know/remember most stocks,sectors,and their respective symbols easily

4.Pre-market gainers/losers

5.Post market gainers/losers

6.Stocks w/REAL TIME news releases... such as EPS,takeover talk,management changes,SEC issues,etc

7.Large Short interest screeners(these figures are usually updated on a monthly basis)

8.Stocks breaking "common" technical support levels 50dma,200dma

.....and on and on,

Take a look at this FREE stock scan software below that will give you an idea of alot of ideas regarding stock screening.Just hit the SCAN feature on the left hand side.I used this WAAY back when ,and I just looked it up and it is STILL going with some new feature as well!

http://stockcharts.com/def/servlet/SC.scan

This is just a START....but it gives you a good idea of how many things are available each day to assist you.Learning how to use,understand,and interpret them when using them for any particular trade/investment........is critical though IMO

GL,
Stephen [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

*** IMO most of these screeners/indicators are for technical analysis,but there are MANY such as news releases,EPS,balance sheet specific info,product developements/ideas ...that are more fundamental and used for value type decisions/analysis