View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Starting out with $100 - advice needed

hey John,

i only took advantage of 1/2 the 1st time depo bonus(OBV donk) at PS and i played like i had some sort of BR and lost that quicker then it took to get it on PS. i then threw on $50 and haven't gone broke since and this was over a year ago now....

after losing a few K's at UB(my 1st net poker site) and issues at the home/job front...i learned BR management as best i could, especially when i donked of the first $25 at PS. i simply just said to myself...'this is the last bit make or break'.

for some reason it didn't bother me one bit that i started grinding the penny tables at PS with my big bad $50 when i was used to ranging pathetically through .25/.50-3/6NL at UB.

i like cash...sng's and mtt's and i wanted to play them all at PS and with PS having .10, .25 and .50 mtt's it was a blessing for 'us' that have a tiny BR. so my commitments were to grind out a session or 2 at .01/.02NL with my $1 or $2(sometimes $3) and whatever profit i made for my session i would use no more then 75% of it to play the sng's and mtt's i started to treasure so much on PS.

well i believe i got very fortunate with grinding upwards b/c i started getting some nice profits going to where i'd chance the $4.40 180 player donk fests and took 2 down almost side by side from each other(haven't won one since LOL). these wins OBV put me up in levels instantaneously. the using 2-5% of BR code of conduct(s) is a great way to stay alive in this game. using too much of your BR on one shot is quite the gamble that hasn't worked out in my favour for the majority(not even half of a half LOL).

if there's any advice i can give you...listen to what everyone has to say and take the good the bad and the SPLAMMMMMAGE out of it all and set your own rules of thumbs that are realistically maintainable and be consistent towards it all.

it's a slow grind upwards but upwards nonetheless...i learned you try to play beyond your means(financially, psychologically and intellectually) you're most likely going to hit 'paved' dirt(not pay dirt [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

hope this helps in anyway John,

Clayton