View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:06 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Thanks for doing this.

I’ve been playing poker for almost a year now, and have been hovering at microstakes for the last six months after grinding out a proper roll in SnGs. Despite being grossly overrolled for 25NL, I’ve stuck around there for quite some time due to a combination of real life constraints, confidence issues, and getting slammed whenever I tried to move up. I’m aware that you’re probably looking for people that have played higher, but I feel I have a decent grasp on poker basics and am willing to learn fast/put in extra hours to make up for what I’m lacking in compared to the other people you will be mentoring. As of this writing I have a roll of a little less than 2000$ and have experience mostly at 25NL and SnGs; I whole-heartedly request that you do not throw me out purely for that reason as with the proper help I feel I could quickly become more than competent at the game. I hoped to be, without help, comfortably winning at 100NL by March; with mentoring I would be pushing for even more and would hope to be looking at 200NL or potentially shots at mid-stakes by that time.

Currently, my game has been rather stagnant and I’ve been looking to put a shot of life into it during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays by putting much-needed hours into just playing. I’ve spent a lot of time lurking on 2+2’s strategy forums for half a year before I made this account but I’ve been having trouble applying them to my game. You can view examples of my thought process throughout my posting history at uNL. Obviously, as a uNLer, I don’t have any good strategy posts to link you to but you should easily be able to glean where I’m at from the content of my replies and the hands I’ve posted. Real life and other hobbies have interfered with my development as a poker player as well but I’d enthusiastically shove some things aside to devote a lot of time to the game if I was accepted (and probably will be doing that even if I’m not).

I view poker as a hobby first and as a supplementary source of income as a distant second. This does not mean that I will have a smaller drive to improve than other people, it’s simply my motive for playing. Pushing my limits and increasing my skill set is very important to me. Almost everything I’ve tried seriously I’ve succeeded at and I’m very enthusiastic about self-improvement. I’ve climbed to the top of an (albeit rather obscure) online video game in around a year and, after taking up chess 4 years ago, have improved rapidly at that. I’ve been frustrated to be stuck at uNL for this long and hope that with effort and potentially your help I can break out of this. I think a mentor is exactly what I need to become a very good poker player and hope that you will seriously consider accepting me in spite of the obvious issues.

Again, thanks for doing this, and thank you for your time.