Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: English-only policy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is a positive to have employees who can communicate in Spanish. However, it is imperative that you be able to communicate in English!

[/ QUOTE ]

Why because you say so? Did you just declare an official state language for all of America right here on 2+2? Is that now the law of the land? Sorry, dude, but you don't get to tell every business and state/local govt in America which language it MUST conduct its business in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said I did. I simply said that if a business owner won't hire someone who can't speak English, good for him. He's got an advantage over someone who will when I need whatever service he provides.

A business owner has the right to hire whomever he chooses.

A question to you. If I have two otherwise equally qualified candidates apply for a job, with the exception that one cannot speak English, so I go with the one who can, would you support that candidates right to sue me for not hiring him, because I instead chose the other candidate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not debating about suing for a right to work without knowing English. I'm debating your attempt to rail against mandatory Spanish training for your job while at the same time advocating support for a mandatory English policy for another job. You can't have it both ways. And appealing to majority doesn't justify your hypocrisy. In some locales, Spanish is the majority anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'm amazed you can't see the difference. I'm bothered by the fact that I'm forced to take it, but guess what, I'm an adult, I did it anyway.

I also support the right of an employer to fire your ass for refusing to learn English, or Spanish, for that matter.

For the record, I also support the right of an employer to not hire you in the first place for that very reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do see the difference. You speak English. That's the difference. So you supported English-language requirements and had a problem with Spanish-language requirements. It appears now however that you are softening your stance somewhat. Maybe you are realizing that your position was untenable after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has nothing to do with me speaking English, and everything to do with the fact that probably 97%-98% of the people I come into contact with on any given day speak English.