View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: The John Kerry / Pickens challenge - Swift Boat ads true after all

[ QUOTE ]
Un-[censored]-believable. Kerry offered to meet Pickens' own challenges. Pickens "staked one million dollars" that "no one" could "prove anything the Swift Boat Veterans for truth said in 2004 was false" and he offered "a million dollars to anyone who could prove wrong anything the Swiftboat Veterans charged about Kerry."

Perhaps realizing how trivially easy satisfying these challenges would be, Pickens decides to go back on his word and issue a new challenge for Kerry (now referring to his challenge as "yours" [Kerry's]!), demanding Kerry's Vietnam journal, his military record from 1971 to 1978, and "copies of all movies and tapes made during your service."

After Kerry provides all of this material to Pickens' (unspecified) standards, he then has to "prove anything in the ads was materially untrue." Note the challenge has been shifted from demonstrating what "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth said in 2004" was false to demonstrating that claims from "the ads" were "materially untrue." (Again, Pickens apparently gets to decide what "materially untrue" means.)

Perhaps Pickens had forgotten and then remembered the many public statements the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth made that were demonstrably false.

I can see only two possible conclusions: Pickens knew Kerry could easily satisfy his original challenge and chose to move the goalposts far, far back, or Pickens stands by his initial challenge but doesn't have a million dollars "staked." Either way he's a douchebag and a liar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure he has a million dollars. This is the guy that gave 165 million to Oklahoma State. Just to humor everyone, can you list the lies in the Swift Boat ads. I must admit that I haven't followed this story, so I honestly don't know what all the charges were. What did they say that was a lie?