View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Article-Lawmakers press USTR for new tack in gambling case

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why any law or any involvement by Congress or even any acceptance by the states is necessary to end this dispute. When a treaty is ratified, Congress is giving the Executive Branch the authority to enact that treaty. If Antigua and the USTR come to some agreement on how to satisfy Antigua, and thereby the WTO decision, then that agreement will trump existing law (Wire Act, UIGEA, etc.) through Charming Betsy.

I don't know though. I certainly could be wrong.????

[/ QUOTE ]

The law that ratified the WTO requires the USTR to consult Congress when the US loses a WTO case and advise Congress on necessary legislation to obey the WTO decision. Somehow that did not happen in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

JP I edited my post. The treaty I was talking about was GATS. That treaty is the root of this problem I thought.

Again, I don't know.???

[/ QUOTE ]

So in political terms like Pres Clinton showed you need more than 34 Senators to agree to be held by the WTO's sense of Congress of is some past Congress really meant to include gaming in the GATT agreements?

Not quite the first and goal on the one inch line, but more Hail Mary, perhaps...........

D$D