View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Official NE Patriots gogogogo to the SB thread

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say u guys keeping Moss is 50/50 at best esp if u guys go undefeated and or win SB. This is mainly due to the fact that I assume NE won't offer him a good contract...they'll try to get him at a drastically reduced rate.

The whole legacy/happy blah blah blah is great if NE offers him a solid contract compared to what other teams will offer. But if they do their usual hardball then I see Moss signing his last NFL contract elsewhere.

Losing Moss would be a massive hit to your passing attack. He can't be replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

the Pats have paid big money to certain guys. they gave Brady a ton, Rosevelt Colvin a lot, Richard Seymour, Matt Light, etc.

basically if they felt production would continue AND they couldn't replace the player with a better value, they have paid. this might be the case for Moss.

now, there is always some team out there will to do something dumb and throw out stupid money. the Pats won't cripple their cap for Moss, but for instance I think they would gladly pay him the money that Deion Branch was asking for.

also how much Moss really enjoys playing here is an x factor. he could very well leave money on the table if he thinks that having a chance at SB's/being the #1 WR in the league is worth it. he already HAS a ton of money, so this isn't like Asante Samuel, Deion Branch, Daniel Graham, Damien Woody etc etc who were all playing on their rookie deals and left/will leave for their first big deal.

Moss has probably made $65m in the NFL already. he earned $55m of his $75m deal, + his rookie deal, + $5m this year.

so, he cut his salary in half in order to come to NE. this may have been b/c he really wanted to play for a good team, or it may been b/c he figured he would be awesome and command a huge deal for someone else after 1 year. we'll see.