View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: How far can 10 grand get me in Europe?

[ QUOTE ]
I sort of explained this in the OP but this trip isnt really to go clubbing or to dine on fine foods, its more spiritual than anything. A couple months ago, in the midst of having a nervous breakdown, I sat down and totally reevaluated what I wanted to get out of my life. I was about 9 months removed from almost making the biggest mistake of my life by marrying a girl who couldnt be faithful to a square of toilet paper let alone a man. It's much more complicated then that, obviously, but through lots of reflection, inebriation, and a little masturbation, I came to the conclusion that I knew nothing of the world besides the small California town in which i'd lived my whole life. So I came up with a plan to try and explore as much of the world as I could on my limited budget.

The plan is to really have no plan. I just want to go do it and figure it out along the way. I have no problem walking, biking, taking buses, sleeping next to the highway, eating tuna cans 3 days in a row etc.

Maybe this isnt the best forum to be asking these questions, i dunno. I'm an avid 2+2 troller and from what I can tell there are some smart people on here. I guess what I really want to know is is spending money unavoidable? I mean, can I buy a loaf of bread and some salame and live off it for a few days while im traveling to a new city? Is that even reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]
You can prolly last 3-4 months off $10k. If you plan on staying in Hostels and not living extravagantly, then you can live quite well off $100-$120 (£50-£60) a day in all but the most expensive places in Western Europe. In Eastern Europe you can live fine off about $60-$80 (£30-£40) a day.

Just don't visit (or spend long in) the crazy expensive places like London, Amsterdam, etc and try to spend some of your time in Eastern Europe where the cost of living/traveling is so much less and it'll last fine.

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]