View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Official NE Patriots gogogogo to the SB thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt the Pats want to tie themselves up with an overpriced rookie even if it is McFadden. I bet they will trade down. Their needs aren't exactly ones that go in the top of the first round. They need LBers, cause theres are getting old, they probally could use another CB, and I don't think the top of the draft has anyone like Champ or anything, the rest of their team is pretty much fine. It's not like they couldn't use a McFadden, they could, just he would cost a lot and he wouldn't be that much better then what they currently have seeing that they don't use their running game all that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they had AP instead of Maroney/Morris/Falk...do u think they might run the ball a bit more?

[/ QUOTE ]

it doesn't matter, they don't need to run the ball more. the running attack is actually fine as it. per DVOA, the #2 rushing attack in the league.

now, a lot of that is b/c the passing attack is so great, but I don't think it matters much. Provided Moss comes back (an if, but lots of folks seem to think he'll stay given how happy he is, the #'s he is putting up, and what this does to his legacy) the passing attack will be just about as good next year.

Stallworth will go, but waiting in the wings is Chad Jackson (who granted has done very little, but was/is highly regarded and has had some bad injury luck). he should be a credible replacement.

Moss isn't getting younger, but looking at him now I think it's clear he can still be great for 2 more years, anyways.

Welker is locked up. The O line is largely locked up.

and, don't forget that Sammy Morris is on IR and looked like a great fit for this offense. he's only 30 and will be back next year.

what's doubtful is the ability/desire to bring back Moss + Asante Samuel. I think it's likely they go with a CB with the top pick, or a LB b/c that's where the team is old (although, BB seems to like his LB's old).

so, they don't need a RB. the offense with Morris/Maroney should still be the best in the league. they will need to replace Asante though, and possibly Bruschi/Seau at an ILB spot.

and above all that, the Pats current RB roster is

Maroney
Morris
Faulk
Evans
Eckel

if you replace one of the bottom barrel guys with McFadden, you lose a quality special teams guy, which BB values highly.

when you consider that, I don't think it's likely at all we take a RB.

or, said another way: we are going to break the NFL Point Scored record by 25-30%. thats the equivalent of someone hitting 93 home runs. and you want to you draft for offense?

and here is some trivia on McFadden: he is 2nd on his team in YPC, and the other guys has over 100 carries.