View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: jimmy rollins is a yambag

[ QUOTE ]

Is there no longer anything to the notion of leadership? Are the numbers really ALL that matter?

Willie Stargell co-shared an MVP award when the Pirates ended up winning it all, and if memory is close to correct, his raw numbers weren't so great. But he was recognized for being a great leader.

I think that Rollins deserves some credit for taking the leadership role and prodding his team on. Wright was unable to do the same for his team.

If this award is meant to take into account how the team finishes too - as it certainly has been in the last couple of decades - then the Mets team-wide collapse has a bearing on how Wright should have done on the voting. If you are one of the people who consider this award to be based entirely on individual performance, then that is an entirely different matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of all the writers who vote, how many frequently cover Phillies games? How many of them frequently see Jimmy Rollins leadership and his affect on the team? His "leadership" is almost entirely speculation and 99% of writers cannot accurately determine what if any impact he has.

Willie Stargell co-shared an mvp but it was a terrible choice, he should not have even been considered. I know you don't love VORP but he was ranked 57th in VORP, he played 126 games, even if he played a full season he would be about 30th in VORP. He had nowhere near an MVP season. All this proves is the BBWAA is clueless and gets the MVP wrong so often.

The MVP mainly should go towards individual performance, see my Hanley scenario I asked to metsandfinsfan above.