Thread: Joe Horn?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Joe Horn?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I can confirm that you are liable in civil and probably criminal court for setting a trap that results in death. I'm curious why Alex thinks otherwise. I would think everyone could agree is that lethal force is only justified to protect your life. An intruder killed by a trap usually doesn't qualify because the owner is usually well away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say lethal force is acceptable to stop theft depending on the value of what's being stolen. Stealing a loaf of bread = no. Stealing your grandmother's engagement ring = yes.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is the dollar value of the life that you are taking? You really want a society where we can say that stealing a few thousand dollars is worth death?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Worth" death? No. Acceptable to stop this? Maybe. And in the case of the engagement ring I made a point to use something priceless, not merely worth a few K.

[ QUOTE ]

If you set a trap with the intention of harming/maiming an intruder you are responsible for the injuries to the same extent as if you were present and shot the gun.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I leave banana peels around my house in the hopes that any intruders will slip on one and break their neck and it somehow actually happens, I should go to jail for murder? Check!