View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 3-betting Light at commerce ONLY

"Villian could have anything from K Q to K-10 to 10-J to A-J to 99... I know he automatically (still) assumes I have a monster everytime I 3-bet. If I continue to bet (turn and river) and get called down by a winner I feel like an idiot... If I VB him and he turns over 10-J... I feel like a champ."

If you bet the river and get called down, he will see your hand and his assumption that you have a monster every time you 3-bet preflop will no longer be his assumption. You will have to adjust accordingly. (In this case, if called, you can say "Jack," and if he shows a queen, you can quietly muck, letting him think you had A-J.)

My river decisions in such spots depend a lot on my opponent. If he's the type to just passively check-call with top pair weak kicker, then I would tend to check behind on the river more than I would against an opponent who would have played more aggressively with top pair. Another factor is that it's good to train your opponents to feel they're going to have to commit to going all the way against you because you're going to bet all the way. If they fear that, they'll be more likely to give up on the turn (or before, even preflop) even when they have you beat; passive types don't like to play against someone they see as maniacal.