View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Starting out with $100 - advice needed

[ QUOTE ]

I suggest you DONT play 2nl or 5nl, it is not even poker with 20xBB raise is standard, and every1 is all in. You will not learn anything from it, and it will only worsen your game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Many good lessons can be learned even at the lowest stakes. Some of the most profitable situations at NL $1k come when you realize someone is playing the same way you might have learned to crush at NL $2. That happens a lot more than you might think, since contrary to the common misconception, losing players at every level generally deposit at that level. They did not win their way up from lower levels, so they are not necessarily avoiding the mistakes from lower levels.

It is also good to have the possibility of rebuilding from $20 by playing penny-ante NL as a safety net.

[ QUOTE ]

Wanna take a chance? Here is my #1, way of playing. I go to 50nl HU,

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing NL $50 HU on a $100 bankroll is close to the opposite of rational bankroll management. It's gambling on a game where the OP is likely to lose.

[ QUOTE ]
Do some MTT. If you do like $1 rebuys or something, and keep it to $4 or $5 max per game, you can make a killing with one Top 3 finish.

[/ QUOTE ]
$100 is not necessarily a sufficient bankroll to play even normal $1 tournaments. You might make a killing, but you don't get much feedback about what you are doing wrong before you bust out. A lot of the advantage in MTTs comes from playing well at the final table, since a large fraction of your profits comes from winning, not just making the final table or cashing, and you don't get much final table practice even if you play a lot of MTTs.