View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: abusing bad TAG players preflop [theory]

[ QUOTE ]
in the examples above the purpose of my 3bet is to win a small/medium pot preflop or on the flop from a TAG player who I think is opening a wide range that will likely miss the flop and he won't be able to profitably continue postflop OOP vs me.

I am not trying to 3bet x% - I spose another way of asking this is - if we think TAG in LP is opening a wide range of hands do we only 3bet IP/OOP if we think we are ahead of that range - or when we "sense weakness" are fairly sure that the hand won't make it past the flop and so our cards as they are very unlikely to get to SD don't really matter?

Am I missing the point somehwere entirely and are there better ways to steal small/medium pots vs bad TAG players?

I figured I'd start with preflop cos it's the easiest street to play.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I understand you correctly you are hoping to exploit the fact that in general a person will miss a flop ~60% of the time. i.e. they fold prefop or they miss and fold to your cbet.

Consider this, when they call preflop.
4BB open
~12BB 3bet
call
~25BB pot
check
c-bet ~18-20BB

you risk ~30BB to win ~12. If this play works ~60% of the time you will lose money. Obviously this is very fuzzy math and there are a tons of variables, but in general 3betting air with the plan to win without showdown is -EV.