View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Starting out with $100 - advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
20 buy-ins is the magic number here for any stakes you're playing at.

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

First, a losing player will burn through any amount. A marginal winning needs a much larger bankroll than a solid winner.

Second, in low stakes games, a solid winner does not need anything close to 20 buy-ins, while in higher stakes games, 20 buy-ins is not enough for an expert.

Saying 20 buy-ins is like responding "4:00" any time someone asks what time it is. Maybe it's close, but only accidentally.

[ QUOTE ]
Forget about SNGs, MTTs, HORSE, Omaha 8/b, or any other split pot games. I consider myself an excellent Omaha8/b and Stud/hi-lo player but the games are nowhere near as profitable as no limit hold'em...especially Omaha 8/b which is the KING of suckout poker games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you reject SNGs. They are simple, they have a relatively low variance, and they are relatively easy to multitable. SNGs are fine for building a bankroll, but their simplicity may stunt your poker development, and higher stakes SNGs are not as profitable as other high poker variants.

If you know how to play, split pot games like O8 and Stud8 offer high win rates relative to their variance, particularly when you play SNGs. Yes, suckouts happen, but very often it is just for half of the pot, and you can make a killing when you are the only one going for low when you are playing several people who think (J8)J or QQ85 are good hands, and who draw to lows that aren't close to the nuts.

These are more complicated than Hold'em, so it is harder to teach a beginner to play them, but they are a safe way for an expert to (re)build a bankroll rapidly.