View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Default abusing bad TAG players preflop [theory]

I'm trying to get my head around ways to open my game up a little and take more small/medum pots away from bad TAG regulars at the tables I play so that I don't continue being a mediocre break even bad TAG player myself. I'd love to get SSNL's thoughts on some preflop scenarios.

Some situationsall villains here are mcTAGs 20/15/3ish with Attempt to Steal %'s in the low 30's that we have a decent chunk of mined data on) - Heros image is ~20/17/3 similar but a little more aggressive)

i) CO opens 4bb - Hero is OTB with trash like 84o or w/e and 3bets pot. Hero has position if called and will probably take the pot down on OK flops with a CB.

is this is a profitable play in a vacuum? what kind of flops are better to CB Is this only profitable because of the image it creates so that when we 3bet a real hand we get a to more action... ? Or is this just a bad plan?

ii) BTN opens and we 3bet same kind of hand from the blinds - same questions.

Obv we'd be doing this sparingly (approximately how often is a ogod frequency? - or is that totally villain dependant) - but overall is playing more 3bet pots IP vs regulars a good idea if we assume that we play postflop at least as good as the villain does and so position gives us a good edge.

Once this goes "wrong" - say we 3bet IP with air - are flat called preflop and then villain c/r our 3bet all-in. Should we make much of an adjustment and tighten up 3betting considerably afterwards for x orbits or wait until this happens more than once?