Thread: mass effect
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: mass effect

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else think that game rankings are becoming more and more a marketing tool? Almost like the video games' version of movie review quotes like "Wildly Entertaining", "This summer's blockbuster movie!" "If you only see one movie this year, make it this one!"...

I've been reading some of the reviews online for this game, from what I used to consider very reputable websites - and while I have yet to play the game - I'm amazed that a reviewer can pan the AI of both enemies and allies during combat, detail some major draw-in issues and still give the game a 9.7/10...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is that as much as many of the review sites just flat out suck.

By the time the review is out, most of the marketing is done anyway. And there would have to be a huge conspiracy for game developers to avoid marketing on the major review sites who have negatively reviewed games in the past. The most popular sites have so many revenue streams that it would hardly matter if a developer or three decided to black ball them.

I think it would be more accurate to say there is a standard deviation because reviews are subjective to some degree based on the reviewers preference to certain types of games.

FWIW, the only game I have played recently for the 360 that I thought was misleading based on reviews is Halo 3.

Forza 2 was spot on, Bioshock spot on, COD4 spot.