View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM

Default Re: November 14th: House Judiciary Committee Hearing Thread

[ QUOTE ]
For me:

I prefer to use gaming for two reasons: One, gaming invokes the entire experience of which gambling is only one, albeit the most important, part. Study, site and table choice, and money management are just some of the other parts which makes gaming a more accurate choice.

Second, yes gaming sounds better. But so what? As long as its accurate, which it is, then why can't I pick the word that I like? Geez!!! Let's flip the coin over, why do our opponents insist on using "gambling"? Its because they want to paint this activity in the most negative light possible. How is that any less disingenuous?

This just shows how weak the arguments are on the other side, in that they have to focus on irrelevant details to make any progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. The word "gambling" is tained in the mind of the public. When I write to Congress, I certainly minimize its use. When I've had people who wouldn't bet on anything review some of my letters to Congress (people whom I know will give me what I need...a tough review of the letter), the most common comments center on any usage of the word "gambling". "Poker" goes over well. "Games of skill", and phrases like "unlike hoping for luck on a roulette wheel" go over well with these folks as well.