View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Checking it down

[ QUOTE ]
We consider angling discussion of the hand in progress in an attempt to gain an advantage.
For example:
"I have the flush, you better just fold" is angeling
or
"My hand is huge, I would check if I was you" also angeling
however:
guy not involved in hand "buddy, you should fold, he has a monster" - not permitted

[/ QUOTE ]

In a cash came, the first two examples are perfectly proper as long as there are no other players in the hand. If there is somebody else in the hand, not proper at all, and I would expect at least a warning.

In a tourney, your first two examples are never proper, unless you're down to the last two players in the tourney.

House rules are house rules, of course, but that's pretty basic (and important) stuff, so I'd hate to play in a place that tampered with basic rules.

This is directly from the Tournament Directors Association Rules.

The important part of the below is the protecting other players, note that the part about advice could apply to your examples as well:

[ QUOTE ]

Players are obligated to protect the other players in the tournament at all times. Therefore, players, whether in the hand or not, may not:
1. Disclose contents of live or folded hands
2. Advise or criticize play before the action is complete
3. Read a hand that hasn’t been tabled
The one-player-to-a-hand rule will be enforced.

[/ QUOTE ]

And then this,:
[ QUOTE ]
Poker is an individual game. Soft play will result in penalties, which may include forfeiture of chips and/or disqualification. Chip dumping will result in disqualification.

[/ QUOTE ]

And finally, from Robert's Rules of Poker:

[ QUOTE ]

The following actions are improper, and grounds for warning, suspending, or barring a violator:

Agreeing to check a hand out when a third player is all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]