View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: 3-betting Light at commerce ONLY

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When other players are missing and not pairing their big cards, I'm winning massive pots on the turn... often without improving. However, when people are ahead post flop, I usually get stuck since I now have the odds to call down or try to improve due to how much I have bloated the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just a guess, but I think you might be taking this concept too far and calling down too much. Even if the pot is bloated, you're not usually going to have odds to call with a 2 or 3 outer, which is where you'll often be if you are behind with hands like KJs against QQ or AK. It's going to be a high-variance play style regardless, but if you can find just a few more spots to fold when you are way behind you could reduce your swings by a good bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... this is the weird double edge sword of this style of play.

Even though you get less people "pushing back" preflop... I find people betting weaker hands / draws post flop than they normally would. Due to this... I'm having a REALLY hard time assigning value to peoples hands.

A lot of times I've gone into default call down mode without thinking (with something like middle pair)... just to find out on the river I was either crushed (should have folded)... or way ahead (should have raised / charged draws more bets).

I guess it's just hard for me to adjust my preflop aggression with optimal post flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you are running into is the fact that poker is a game of incomplete information. With the way you are playing some hands, which I like as long as you don't over do it, you are creating more confusion for your opponent, but it sounds like you may also be creating more confusion for yourself as well.

I think in the Comm 20 you can definitely use this variance of play in select spots and it can be very profitable. However, you are definitely going to experience more variance, but when you run hot you will win boats of money. Running bad or over using the play and allowing people to catch on is risky b/c then people will lose respect for you and then you will have to start playing a lot of big pots b/c people will disregard your play.

Overall, the 20 game is good enough that you don't need to make this play at all and still take down a lot of money. I would say that using it limited amounts of time, is ok... you know a couple two maybe three times a session. More then that and people will start to catch on and begin to aply pressure to you.