View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Beat: Parent set me up with therapist about me playing poker

[ QUOTE ]
LOL I was in this same situation a few years back. Basically you have to find a way to convince them that you play for money and it's a skill game. This was easy for me cuz I was playing $2/$4 NL and $3/$6 NL and was up around $12-$15k and I was only 18 or so. Your situation will be a little worse, since you are a uNL player

[/ QUOTE ]

Id say the opposite is the better scenario in an "explain it away to someone who knows nothing about poker" situation.

I mean - its easier to explain that if you get unlucky in a hand you will lose $10 or $25 or whatever than $600 which is a pretty big amount of money in the real world outside of poker.

Parents: I think you have a gambling problem
Him: If i lose my entire bankroll ive cost myself the equivilent of buying a PS3
Parents: Oh, but, you know, you could withdraw that money and, like, buy a PS3
Him: Whatever, im an adult, id rather spend a couple hours a day playing poker than playing on a PS3 - plus i can win at the game and actually have a hobby that earns me money

However I strongly suspect that if the OP's parents are at the psychologist stage he has done a REALLY bad job at explaining it so far.

Also - you could just tell them to go [censored] themselves.