View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 AM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Cranberry Challenge

I tried to make Cranberry Jelly candy, but it didn't work at all. I thought I'd share this failed experiment in case anybody had any ideas what went wrong, or at least so you may beware the road I traveled.

I was mostly following an Alton Brown recipe for "Acid Jellies" here. I figured I could replace the lime/lemon juice with cranberry juice, and the lime/lemon zest with orange zest and pureed dried cranberries. Sounds good, right?

Ugh. I don't know what went wrong, honestly. Maybe my packs of gelatin were bigger than his packs of gelatin. Maybe the cranberries added their own pectin, making it even thicker than normal. Whatever happened, the texture of these things was awful. Like eating rubber. Made for pretty pictures, though. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Combine the gelatin and juice in a pot w/o heat. In a second pot, bring sugar to 300 degrees.

Pour the syrup into the gelatin and stir like crazy.

Pour the mixture into a pan to cool. After a couple hours, turn onto a cutting board.

Use a pizza cutter to cut into little cubes.

Roll in sugar.

Try to eat one. Spit it out. Throw the rest away. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]