View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Playing Ax suited for flush value ???

In my humble estimation...it depends. Factors to consider as to your long term EV with such a move would include your position, how many limpers have come in front of you, what you expect your implied odds to be should you hit, likelihood or possibility of a raise behind you based on prior play (and, related, the aggressiveness or passivity of players yet to act). You'll also have to decide how much you'd be willing to call should you flop two of the suit and get bet into. Concerning implied odds, you'd have to try and anticipate whether anyone else would stick around and put more money in if the 3 flush comes on the flop or turn. Fear of the flush on part of your opponents may keep you from achieving the implied odds necessary to make this a profitable play. I personally like the play on occassion depending on position and what I can expect players behind to do. I consider it a decent way to mix up my play. However, I do consider it a deviation of normal strategy and would expect the strict answer to your question to be "no, it's not a great EV play." That said, I look forward to seeing someone more mathematically inclined expound on that issue and whether there is a specific way to calculate this down to a range.