View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Article-Lawmakers press USTR for new tack in gambling case

[ QUOTE ]

They could comply by exempting Antiguan companies from three laws and be done with it. It would be less than 100 words, maybe less than 50. Let them do it. Let them "Port Security" it like they did with the UIGEA.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think most of the other countries are interested in bringing their own case. Even the EU seems more interested in what other concessions they can extract, despite their latest public comments. If another country brought a new case it could take years and have to be dealt with by another administration.

Squaring up with Antigua would allow the US to cancel their Article 21 withdrawal. The matter would be "settled" until another country brought and litigated a case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay,

Surely you and your contacts in Antigua don't see this exempt Antigua only solution as being plausible do you? If the U.S. is going to cave, the effects of either exempting Antigua alone and the world's gaming companies moving there to market to the U.S., or exempting the entire world (complying fully), would be the same. So why would the U.S. wish to especially benefit Antigua which forced them to comply in some manner?