Old 11-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Best US President

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
US entry into ww2

[/ QUOTE ]

... This would be one of those few things I really don't have a problem with. Can't imagine how anyone would.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're being a bit results oriented. I certainly think it's up for debate whether or not it was a prudent decision to enter WW2 at the time. Looking back from 65 years in the future it's too easy to question or agree with decisions made back then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how this could possibly be up for debate.

[/ QUOTE ]
Debate gogogo.

As Case said its very results oriented. The American public did not war, at all. So FDR basically manipulated the Japanese into attacking in order to get into the war vs Germany, which is my main problem with it. By getting the Japanese to attack first, FDR was able to get the full support of the otherwise opposed public towards the war, to get "revenge" for Pearl Harbor. Of course, there was the fact that the majority of men and material went to fight Germany and not Japan thanks to FDR's "Germany first" strategy. I've always wondered what would have happened if Hitler hadn't declared war on us, since he was not bound by the Tri-Partite agreement to do so. Specifically, I wonder what FDR would have done next to get us into the war vs Germany.

And the results of WW2 weren't all that great. All of Eastern Europe (edit: and China) was lost to Communism. with millions killed by the Soviets when they won. History would have played out the same way, just with a 3-way Cold War instead of a 2-way, and the Soviets would have been stronger than us with the addition of all of Germany as a Warsaw Pact-like(which wouldn't exist with no NATO) satellite. The Soviets just would have been stronger than us in the Cold War since they would have had all of Germany instead of just Eastern Germany in their sphere of influence, so their collapse would have taken longer.

The mistake most people make about ww2 is thinking that the Germans definitely would have won had we not intervened. The war would have taken longer but the Soviets still most likely would have won.