View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Police kill Polish man @ Vancouver Airport

[ QUOTE ]
I spent 5 years working in adolescent mental health - usually in a residential setting. There were often large, aggressive teenage boys who needed to be physically restrained when they posed a risk to themselves or the other residents. Two of us would hold the teen while the other staff dealt with the other kids. We were trained so we were able to do these restraints effectively and safely. No one was ever hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Falcon is really sensationalizing here imo.

Tens of thousands of manual takedowns happen ever day in the Western world, everywhere from nightclubs to policing to mental health institutes. Many are more dangerous than this situation and few involve tasers. This guy was known to be unarmed and fairly peaceful compared to most. They tased him because they were lazy, and it killed him, either directly or indirectly.

Falcon: tasing is wrong because it's unnaturally painful and distressing and highly invasive, and possibly unsafe for certain people. That's why it's a last resort before firearms.

If you ask just about anyone if they'd prefer to be restrained or tasered and then restrained, I'm pretty sure they'd chose not to take the taser. It was unnecessary use of force by oversized cowards, and it killed a man. I don't know why you can't see that.