View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Dan in Real Life (spoilers - wait \'til you\'ve seen it)

I just saw this last night and I was surprised that there were no threads about it. I think it deserves one.

I loved this movie for several reasons. There are a lot of different things going on the film and a number of life issues are addressed. These include parenting, being a single parent, sibling rivalry, getting over a lost spouse, family, etc.

I thought it was brilliantly acted by almost everyone involved. Steve Carell was great. I think he is really starting to show his acting chops. Most people appreciate how brilliant he is in The Office. However, this was a completely different character for him, and he absolutely nailed it. Some of the best stuff was nonverbal. His facial expressions were killing me.

Dane Cook is making a comeback in my book. He got a little overexposed and I was sick of seeing him in 20 baseball commercials every single day. However, I liked him in "Good Luck Chuck" and he was quite good in this one as well.

I don't remember seeing Juliette Binoche in anything else, but she was captivating. It was definitely believable that Dan would fall so hard for her. She was magnetic and irresistible.

I liked most of the other characters as well. The woman who played Paul Giamatti's ex-wife in Sideways was good in a minor role as Dan's sister. She is beautiful, by the way.

The one character I didn't like was the brother-in-law. He added nothing to the movie and made a couple comments that seemed really out of place. I wondered if he was intending to make a joke or just an a-hole.

My biggest complaint is that the film seemed to end abruptly. The last 15 minutes felt like they were in a hurry to get it over with. I thought they could have spent another half hour or so bringing the story to a resolution. It was not running on or feeling like an overly long movie by any means. There was no need to bring it to a halt like that.

Other things I really enjoyed:

- "Let My Love Open the Door" - I absolutely love this song. Dan and Mitch performing it at the family talent show was a great scene. I wish they had incorporated the original Pete Townshend version later in the movie somewhere.

- the double-date scene at the bar - Anytime I see people dancing awkwardly or badly on screen, I love it. I can totally relate, because I pretty much suck at dancing.

- Lily's project - Lily giving her dad the poster she made is a very poignant moment. It's the first time we actually see Dan's deceased wife. I almost shed a tear there. I knew it was going to be something important when she told her dad twice that she wanted to give him something, and he blew her off.

- the piano duet - Mitch and the other brother ad-libbing the song about "Pig Face" was hilarious.

One thing that struck me is that the family did some weird stuff. They split into teams to race at solving a crossword puzzle. Then there was the group aerobic workout. Finally, they staged a talent show. Am I the only one whose family does nothing like any of this? Haha.

I was prepared to call this one of my favorite movies ever until the sprint to the finish left me a little unsatisfied. However, I still think it is very good. It is definitely one I will purchase and watch over and over.

I'm sure I will think of more later, but that's it for now. I highly recommend watching this one.