View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Do these stats tell anything about what I can do to improve my game?

There are a few key things I think you can do after each session that will make you a better player.

The first is to take a look at some opponents that you keep running into and look at each hand they have shown and see make any notes that you think will be helpful to you. Stats on opponents are helpful but when you have notes on a player you are able to narrow their range. One specific thing I like to know is the opponents tendency to fire bluffs, but there are so many patterns that players fall into and recognizing any of them can be valuable.

Next I like to look at each big hand I played (win or loss) and see if I could have extracted more or loss less value given the information I had at the time. When I go back and look at a session where I played 500 hands I will usually find at least 5 hands where I made a mistake I should have avoided and that ended up costing me 1BB or more. Often times it is a value bet I am missing or a decision to call down lightly after a turn check/raise when there is very little chance the villain is making that play as a bluff or semibluff.

The final thing I like to do is to visit 2+2 and read/reply to some posts. Taking some time after each session to just think about the game also ensures you won't fall into a trap of focusing only on the $/100 won or lost.