View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: High-end Dining: Expectations and Reviews

Went to one of Gordon Ramsays places yesterday. The Savoy Grill, head chef there is Marcus Wareing .

On sundays they do a sunday menu that is absolutely fantastic value for money. 3 courses for £25 or 2 courses for £18. You'd be hard pressed to go to an Indian place for a curry and dessert or an Italian for Pizza and dessert/starter for that price in London, so that is really quite amazing value in a Michelin starred restaurant. I know lots of you are ballers and that price doesn't matter to you, but this is highly recommended for those who are on a budget. Or have friends who are.

For starters we had:

Foie gras parfait with toasted brioche and spiced fruit chutney. Absoultely lovely. Not the most inventive dish, but you can't argue with the taste.

Scottish smoked salmon and gravadlax, served with classic accompaniments. Which I'm told was also fantastic.

Mains came:

Roast rib-eye of Scottish beef with Yorkshire pudding, roasted vegetables, potatoes and beef sauce. Which was a brilliant piece of meat cooked perfectly. Once again, the chef didn't really take out his most fancy moves. But it's good food prepared perfectly.

Seared sea bream with fennel purée, buttered spinach and tarragon glazed carrots. The fennel purée was absolutely top notch. Creamy and full of flavour.

Desserts:

Chocolate brownie gateau. Wow! Chocolate bomb, not too sweet. Perfect.

Passion fruit brulée. Often when I get brulées with some exotic taste they hardly taste anything but regular creme brulée. This was different, lots of flavour.

Service throughout the evening was spot on. Helpful and always there when you needed them, not too stiff. Always with a smile and a joke.

Really recommend this. But know what you are getting on a Sunday. This isn't the most innovative food. Lacks the wow factor, just great food prepared by the best chefs. So not for you if you are looking to be blown off your chair, but if you want a piece of the fine dining experience for under half the price this is for you.