View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: UFC 78, TUF 6 Finale, UFC 79

To be fair, losing in MMA is just different than losing in any other combat sport. Most of us (I know I was) were raised on boxing. It's pretty rare that you see a boxing match end in as thorough a whooping as some MMA fights, like Chuck/Rampage for example. Even if it's a pretty one-sided beatdown, the other boxer usually has his moments and even if he's never really in the fight, he at least lands some stuff and executes his gameplan a little bit.

It's different watching someone get totally and thoroughly walked through like that and the common thought for the general public isn't "well that was going to happen 15% of the time", it's more like "goddamn, that was a whooping. I guess either ______ is god, or ______ just flat out sucks because that fight wasn't even close!"

I guess what I'm trying to say is that due to how foreign and new MMA is to a lot of people, the constant deification/discarding cycle is just something we kind of have to expect from the casual fan. It can be profitable though. I'm already eagerly anticipating the Machida/Sokoudjou line for UFC79 for this very reason.