View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Zero Rake Poker Business plan

[ QUOTE ]
Who's going to work at a non-profit poker site???

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-profits hire people to work for them every day. Why would this non-profit poker site be any different?

[ QUOTE ]
Further, there are rules about who can legitimately claim to be non-profit. A poker site probably won't fall within those parameters. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The very idea. And I seriously doubt the IRS is going to let you claim a tax deduction for money sent to support this "non-profit's" mission, thus undercutting one of the biggest appeals that non-profits hold for philanthropists and the affluent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am no expert, but I think you can set up a non-profit corporation for just about any 'mission' under the sun. You are right that a poker club would probably not be qualified for tax-deductible contributions.

Tax deductions are a nice tool that do help a lot of charities raise money, and I really doubt a non-profit poker room would be able to use that tool.

The poker room would not be a charity: note the distinction here between a non-profit corporation and a charity.

That doesn't mean that you couldn't raise money from people who support your mission. I support at least two non-profits that are not IRS charitable organizations, and I'm happy to do so despite not being able to write off the donation as a tax deduction.