View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: What are the top 10 starting hands in holdem?

Rusty, I think there might be an argument for a difference at some M in a cash game. I think the kinds of opponents have a bearing on this also. At an M of 30 or so and below, I'm certain I agree with you fully. Above that it gets a little debatable for me.

I realize the OP is more general and your answer is for the purposes of this forum. However, I like the question about the differences in a cash game. I do like your answer but I think I lean more towards the people you describe than where you are on this subject.

I would support the idea that as the stacks get deeper and deeper and/or as the opponents get tighter and better the traditional high hands lose ev. Is it enough to change the rankings? I'm not sure I could argue that. However those conditions bring the more speculative hands way up for me.

I'm thninking in terms of ending stack values after a night of hard work and good play. Most of these nights are many hours against maybe only 15 to 20 opponents. That is much more time facing individual players and many fewer players than one is exposed to in a tourny. The style reads and knowledge of each opponent about the others grows much deeper here than in a tourny.

Sure I want aces, every hand if I can get them. However 1 pair hands that don't improve (most of the time) can be tricky to play, expecially with a thoughtful and strong opponent is calling or playing back. It seems I make most of my monster pots live against players that just can't let go of the AA or KK (or worse, other top pairs) post flop. I like the hands but I have some level of contempt for them also.

One of my thoughts is in tourny's you rarely have an M greater than 40 or so. However in live it's very common. A table with 5 to 8 players with an M around 100 or over isn't uncommon.

Really, I'm not arguing with your persepctive here. I guess I'd juse enjoy reading your theoretic musing a little in support or not.

Dave