View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: EDF book review, recommendations, etc - the mbillie edition

Good god, I just read the NYT review of Calamity Physics. WTF? Either Pessl is giving sexual favors to the NYT review staff or I am insane.

From the review:

[ QUOTE ]
You could compare this road-tripping duo to Humbert Humbert and his Lo...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, yes, you could, because both are viatic narratives; but that's the ENTIRE analogy, so...basically, what is WRONG with you?

[ QUOTE ]
[Pessl's] prose...floats and runs as if by instinct, unpremeditated and unerring. A forgettable man is casually summarized as "an extra packet of salt one misses at the bottom of a bag of fast food"; teachers at Blue’s school have "the kind faces of mice"; lonely days "shuffled by like bland schoolgirls"; and a boy’s voice is "stiff as new shoes."

[/ QUOTE ]

"Instinctive" and "unerring"?? Pessl's stampeding metaphors are the WORST part of her prose, banal in their very garishness. Let's take a look at the subtlety of metaphor in a true master such as, I don't know?, NABOKOV:

"And as we pushed westward, patches of what the garage-man called 'sage brush' appeared, and then the mysterious outlines of table-like hills, and then red bluffs ink-blotted with junipers, and then a mountain range, dun grading into blue, and blue into dream, and the desert would meet us with a steady gale, dust, gray thorn bushes, and hideous bits of tissue paper mimicking pale flowers among the prickles of wind-tortured withered stalks all along the highway; in the middle of which there sometimes stood simple cows, immobilized in a position (tail left, white eyelashes right) cutting across all human rules of traffic." (Lolita)

You have actually read Nabokov in the last decade, right Ms. Schillinger? You sure you didn't just watch the movie? Wow.