View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Having trouble dealing with postflop minraises

[ QUOTE ]
A particular situation I struggle with a lot is getting away from a strong but vulnerable hand when I get minraised after the flop where calling would end up committing me to the pot. I don't want to dig through my HH right now, but I'll make up a hypothetical hand that I would have this problem with:

$22 sng, 4 players left, stacks are:
Hero: 3000
Button: 3000
SB: 4000
BB: 4000

Blinds are 150/75, I get AJ and raise to 400. Button calls, both blinds fold. The pot is now 1025. The flop comes AQ9 rainbow. I bet out 600, villain minraises to 1200. Villain is an average $22 player, and the minraise is a strange play that I haven't seen him make yet. Now what do I do?

Just calling would pot-commit me, as there would be 3625 in the pot and my stack would be down to 1400. So calling is out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting out committed you. You put in 1/3 of your stack with the PFR + the flop bet. You have TP with a good kicker. Get ths chips in the middle, either by calling here and pushing or check/pushing the turn or by reraising all-in on the flop.

What other flop were you looking for? If you were raising here for value, you're only behind AK, AQ, A9 or a slowplayed AA, QQ, or lucky 99. If you can't commit with this flop and this action, then you should have just folded pre-flop or treated it completely as a steal hand.

Put the chips in the middle. It could easily be an AT that thought you missed with 77.