View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: it\'s all about fishin\' man

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is fun and addicting and attracts sick gamblers. If the fish dried up and went away who is Las Vegas making their money off in games of chance with expected -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that table games are more fun than poker. 85% of your time at the poker table is spent folding, sitting, waiting. Don't get me wrong, I like poker a lot, but the attraction is that it's fun and you can be an advantage player. However, if I could make the same amount of money playing craps and poker, I would spend all my time at the craps table.

So, when bad players figure out that they are, in fact, -EV at poker, they're more likely to go play table games instead, because they are similarly costly and more enjoyable. They're not "busto" in the sense that they are broke and have no money left to lose, but in the sense that they've finally figured out that poker is a bad investment.

That said, while I think the fish are not an entirely renewable resource, I don't think there's an acute overfishing crisis (at least in the northeastern markets). It's more coal than oil-- the world will eventually run out of coal, but I plan to be long dead by then.