View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Liberty Dollar office raided

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you people even get the POINT OF ANALOGIES?

[/ QUOTE ]

To paint a caricature of a situation that exemplifies all the good sides of your point while discreetly setting aside all the other points which would be hard to debate, so you can win at teh interweb. Duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, thats the strategy used to reject analogies. I'm still waiting for a single person to explain why it matters in the least that what the Nazis did was worse than what these guys did.

Honestly, this is bothering me. The point of all this is that the general principle "It is ok to do things you know are wrong as long as it is your job to do them" is atrocious and wrong. There are plenty of examples of this, some very extreme, some less extreme. Nazi soldiers, extreme. These cops, less extreme. But so what? The extremity of the situation doesnt matter. Its still wrong. The reason people use extreme examples is to show you what can happen when you make a habit out of condoning behavior because "I was just doing my job." Are the people laughing at this analogy implicitly disagreeing with the conclusion or are they just trying to score cheap points?