View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Default Re: Do you want to have children?

[ QUOTE ]

If they are going to do that then they need to actually name specifics of how having children has improved their lives. Most of the time it is just abstract and meaningless statements like having children is "amazing" or having children was the best thing I ever did.

They never explain how or why children improved their life only that they did. The negatives of having children are pretty easy to list so why are the benefits such abstract concepts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just don't have children, and don't worry about it. You're mature enough to realize you don't want them and that is great. I would never wish children on someone who wasn't committed to them. However, asking for tangible benefits of having children shows a fundamental lack of understanding when it comes to having kids. What do you want people to say? That we get small tax breaks?

I'm sure you are not looking for the times your 1 year old brings you a book and plops down on your lap waiting for you to read. Or when you go to daycare and your child races across the room with a big smile on his face to give you a giant hug. The main benefit from having kids is in the abstract: feelings of overpowering love, fulfillment, and joy.

Again I'm not here to harp on people who don't want to have kids. I applaud it, actually. I have many friends who don't want to have kids, or who never have, and are quite happy. There is no right or wrong answer here.