View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain what the PPA wants? and why

[ QUOTE ]
So I looked at the About Us page, where the Board of Directors is listed, and this is where I'm confused; no one on that board derives their income from playing online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do...over 50% of my annual income is from online poker.

Also, I believe Howard Lederer, Chris Ferguson, and Greg Raymer all make decent money playing online. I don't know the percentage of total income for any of them, but I imagine they'd notice if they could no longer play.

[ QUOTE ]
But it never states anything specific whatsoever as to what it wants to achieve.

[/ QUOTE ]

PPA acts as an advocate for all poker, online and B&M. The goal for online poker is explicit legalization. PPA is advocating the Wexler bill, IGREA, and the Study bill. This effort includes lobbying, generating letters from members to Congress, media relations, etc. They also participate in court cases that have potential to get poker declared a game of skill. They're also active at the state level in Mass, where the governor just proposed a bill that outlaws Internet gaming (even for players). There are a number of other areas the PPA works on as well.

[ QUOTE ]
So, while online poker players and online poker sites have some common goals, can someone explain to me why I should believe that the PPA has my best inerests as a poker player in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me their interests of the PPA align well with our interests as players. I check my inbox every day and I have yet to see a lot of members asking me to get PPA to change their focus. I post here very regularly and work to ensure our views are represented by PPA, and I've had no trouble with that at all. That's why I'm there, so ensuring we're represented is something I'm passionate about.

If you could list some areas where you think interests diverge, I'll try to address them. If you want me to bring something to PPA, feel free to PM me. You can also post questions on the PPA Forum.

Rich Muny
Member, PPA Board of Directors