View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Re: What are the standard raise/re-raise/ bet amounts?

Hey,

There's a real useful thing I found (at least for the pre-flop scenario) in the Full Tilt Tournament edition book by Howard Lederer, which I believe he entitles leveraging. He uses this ratio which I found helpful - 3:10:30.

What this means is that if you have 10x (or more) the big blind, you can make a standard opening raise of 3x BB pre-flop, and make a reasonable decision for the rest of your chips if you get called/pushed all-in. If you have -10x BB, then you need to push all-in to exert maximum pressure.

If you get re-raised, he claims that 30x BB is the amount you need to have, in order to go overtop the re-raiser and still maintain your leverage. He points out that 3x the re-raise is what he tends to bet (i.e. 50-100 blinds > you open for 300, get raised to 600, you would need to make it another 1800 (for a 2100 total) to maintain your leverage).

He obviously explains it a lot better than I just did, but usually 3x the re-raise is pretty standard. Again though, Lederer claims you can only do this if you have at least 30x BB.

Ummm, I hope that helped.