View Single Post
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

This is an such an awesome opportunity and I'd love to be considered. Here goes my shot at it...

Was introduced to poker around May this year when I was referred for a Party no deposit bankroll offer, and played a few hands now and again to clear bonus requirements - essentially free money [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

Entered a $11 tournament out of boredom, got extreme beginner's luck and by some fluke ended up chip leader at the final table. Down to 4 players and it was 5am, I was in dire need of sleep, so agreed to a deal and received $1.1k. Withdrew my winnings except $70, which I lost and felt poker was a game of pure luck and that if I continued I'd end up with a gambling addiction. That was the end of poker for me, or so I thought.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago when I was talking to a friend, who explained there's a much better way to play than limping anything suited, shoving with any two pretty looking cards, and minraising with any ace. That's when I realised there's a lot of skill involved in poker, and decided to play properly; I bought a couple of books, joined 2p2, and lurked around for a couple of months. Then deposited $450 on Stars to play NL10. Once I get to 30x BI for NL25 I'll move up. The number's a bit conservative, but I figured it's best to be properly rolled for the stakes I'm moving to.

I've just started a computer science degree at university and despite having a somewhat flexible timetable, cannot dedicate as much time to poker as I'd like, so I always try to make the most of my sessions.

I play at least an hour every day, more on weekends, and am gradually building up the number of tables and session length. After each session I spend a few hours analysing my play, reading/posting on forums and studying poker books. I like to fix any leaks as I go and get into a good playing habit early on.

Having someone to talk to about my hands and get instant feedback would greatly benefit my play, maximise my learning efficiency and keep me on the right track. Ultimately, my goal would be to plug as many leaks in my game as possible and hopefully become a solid winning player at higher stakes, but for now as I'm just starting out, my foreseeable goals are to improve as player and progress through the stakes.

Grats on your success and to whoever gets chosen; and it would be much appreciated if you/they could occasionally post summaries/vids of a few sessions for the micros community [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]