View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Law and Math Combo?

Graduating law school at 30 will be no great problem. The average graduate is probably something like 28 years old and if you have spent the time b/w the end of undergrad and the start of LS doing something productive and interesting, that actually will help you at interviews.

That being said, it isn't clear to me that you should go to law school because it really sounds like you enjoy the math field so much. Do what you enjoy and then you don't have to work another day in your life. I would caution you against buying into the lawyer mystique that seems to be reflected by your using phrases like wanting to be a "hotshot" lawyer and the like. The practice of law is not glamorous or a particularly romantic endeavor. If you do decide to go ahead and study graduate level math and then also go on to lawscool your qualifications for becoming a patent attorney are going to be pretty good. Perhaps that is an area of the law that you would enjoy and one where you could imbibe both of your passions. My advice would be to look into what that's like and see if it's something that might be of interest. Just go into it knowing that that the words hotshot and patent attorney are rarely if ever used in the same sentence.