View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Mario Galaxy: 97 on Metacritic

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who hasn't bought it yet, buy it & get a $25 GC at Best Buy. It's not advertised but force the customer service rep to ring up SKU # 6867688 after they ring up the game.

They are price matching the sick deal by Toys R Us unofficially.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the heads up. i got it last night at best buy. the clerk had a piece of paper near the register with a bunch of promo skus, and this one one of them. they were already aware of the deal. they don't mention it to customers, but if it's brought up to them they put it in at the register no managers and no questions asked. she said she thinks the match will be running until saturday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this any game or just MG?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: Your mileage definitely will vary, even within the same Best Buy store.

A coworker of mine is a gamer and told me about this deal as well; yesterday afternoon, he went to the local Best Buy and the clerk initially asked to see the Toys R Us ad. My coworker said he didn't have the ad, but that he did have the SKU# (6867688) -- and so the clerk tried entering it, and it worked. So he got his copy of SM Galaxy and got the $25 gift card with very little hassel.

I went a couple of hours after he did to the *same* Best Buy with the SKU # and Toys R Us Sunday ad printed out (which has the game + gift card promo) in hand, and the clerk at the register (I assume a different clerk than my coworker had dealt with earlier) would not enter the SKU # without her manager's permission. So she calls over the "Operations Supervisor", and that guy swears Best Buy would never honor that Toys R Us price match because there was a gift card involved and it's not a literal price match.

So whatever, I pretty much just shrugged and left without buying the game (knowing in the back of my mind that they had honored the deal for my co-worker, and I could likely just bring in his Best Buy receipt with the price match honor and prove that they really are doing the price match).

So last night, I emailed my coworker buddy and asked him to bring his receipt into work with him today, so I could bring it into Best Buy with me and show that they *really will* honor the price match.

So this afternoon during lunch, I went back to Best Buy with my coworker's receipt from yesterday to demonstrate to them that they *really are* doing the price match (at least for some customers)...but it wasn't even necessary. I just brought the game up to the counter, handed it to the clerk and started to tell her the spiel about the Toys R Us deal with a free $25 gift card and that Best Buy had been honoring the price match, and she stopped me mid-sentence and asked if I had the SKU #. So, I gave it to her and she immediately rang it up and gave me my gift card (didn't ask permission from a manager or anything like that), and out the door I went.

tl;dr summary: pretty good chance this will work, but yeah, your mileage will vary. If it doesn't, try talking to different managers or supervisors until you find one who will honor the deal, or come back later when a different clerk/manager is on duty.