View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Why won\'t all the states just opt out

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I can answer why they will opt out, because they won't benefit from it and it is not positive for their constituents. My understanding is that giving the states the right to opt out does comply with the WTO because the precedent is already set with Utah and Hawaii but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the eyes of the WTO states have no rights...This is well documented..The US or any other country can not "hide" behind States and/or regional laws..The US signed an agreement that bonds the entire nation...

[/ QUOTE ]

The WTO applies to all states and it is signed up to at the federal level the WTO does not recognise the individual states at all, the executive has signed up to the treaty. It gets a bit more complicated in the real world, in practice Antigua et al are not that concerned about Utah and Hawaii and would likely settle for access to the rest. The Frank bill is not WTO compliant but it is likely to be attractive enough to settle the dispute, the WTO would likely stop demanding sanctions or concessions if it were just Utah, simply not worth the grief and the WTO deals rely on a bit of give and take, getting access to most would be chalked up as a win.