View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

Hey,

I'm 19 years old and currently going to a community college in the middle of Iowa. I started playing micro-stakes more seriously after buying PokerTracker and PokerAce HUD about 3 months ago.

I started playing poker when I was 15 and a freshman in high school. It started out normally playing sng's and learning from a friend's uncle who was playing as a sorta part-time job. Most of his learnings were outta Hilger's ITH book and he really taught me and my friend the basics. Me and a friend brought what we had learned back home and created some home games (virtually all tournaments). Now in the time of 4 years we have expanded poker in our area from about the original 8 or 9 players to closer to 140 regulars.

As for online...Years ago me and the same friend had a few decent sized cashouts (lol small for most). Most of the money came from 33$ 6-man SNG's. This was at a time when online poker seemed easy and everyone was even fishier than us.

I took several breaks from poker before my most recent jump back in. I hope to make this a permanent thing. Maybe it will never be the big-money job we all hope but I do play with making money a goal and not just having fun. I started by playing SNG's again but after getting into 2 + 2 I decided to try to convert into a ring game player. The transition has been hard. The games are much different. I almost dumped my whole roll playing games I didn't have the money for and have now become much more disciplined about bankroll management. I have set goals for myself and plan to move up to NL25 level soon.

I think some of my weaknesses include: cold calling slightly too often, overplaying over pairs, continuation betting, and blind stealing. I've tried to address these problems recently but I think it would be a big help if their was experienced player who could help guide me.

I think I should be chosen because I am always willing to learn. I think I can apply the knowledge quick and I have the potential to make myself a very good player and can use your coaching as a huge help.