View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

About Myself
I知 probably one of the older people in this forum at 30 years. I have been playing uNL for about 2 months. I started at 10NL and now play 25NL, however I am rolled for 100NL so taking shots is not a problem if I feel confident in my game.

Previously I had played limit hold弾m for about 2 years but never took it very serious. I played limits up to $3/6, but my progress stagnated as I became progressively more bored with the game and slowly stopped thinking and became an ABC robot. I took off several months in the spring and summer and finally decided to get back into poker, but this time at NL. It was a refreshing change and I知 now enjoying poker again.

Poker Goals
Poker serves 3 purposes for me. First, it provides a competitive and entertaining venue. I am naturally a very competitive person, and use this as one of my outlets. Second, I am a logical, mathematically oriented person (Computer Eng grad) and love to continually utilize and improve those skills. And the last one is obviously money.

So, my goals in poker are simply to become the best player I possibly can while making as much money as possible. At this point in time I知 trying to solidify my game and plug any glaring leaks while progressing through the limits. Ideally I would like to increase limits about once per month, at least up until about 200NL. I think this is a very attainable goal with the hard work I am willing to put in.

What I hope to get out of coaching
I have been contemplating getting a coach for a few weeks to increase my rate of progress and find any glaring mistakes I am making. I致e got a few general areas I知 concerned about. First, I知 trying to iron out any leaks that exist because of my limit background. I think I知 doing ok in that area now, but I知 sure issues still exist. Second, and my main focus now, is trying to maximize my profit when I make a hand. I feel as though I知 leaving a ton of money on the table in some spots and also misuse slow playing and inducing bluffs. Third, I want to mix my game up. I would like to increase my deception and be able to handle the situations that arise from this, such as value betting weaker holdings and playing marginal hands when I think my opponent is taking shots at me because he thinks I have missed the board.

After writing this post, which is much longer than I anticipated, I realize there are probably people who need coaching more than me. But, just typing this out has been a good exercise to clarify why I play this game and the direction I知 headed. I think I have a decent grasp on my weaknesses and now it痴 just a matter of working on them. With a coach I believe this process would be greatly improved and could also give me insight into other areas I haven稚 even considered yet.